Wednesday, February 07, 2007

My device adventure updates

It has been way too long since I have posted here, so here I go...


I have been using a Nokia e62 at work on the Good Mobile Messaging server and it is a good device. After being a Treo on Good Link user for a couple years, I have to admit that the Good Mobile Message client on the Nokia e62 falls short because it does not have a good launcher screen with an agenda view. When I spoke with the folks at Good, they said it was in development.... we will just have to wait and see.

In the mean time, I am using a Treo 650 for my personal mobile and it is still a great device. I didn't realize how much I missed the Treo. When I used the Treo, it was with the Good Link client and it dominated the device. I had more of a corporate view of the Treo. Now that Good Link is off the device, I am looking at the device from a consumer perspective.

Here is my Treo 650 set up:

  • After a fresh super-hard reset (or zero out), I inserted my personal mobile's SIM. [note: This device is an unlocked Treo 650, but this zero out works for all Treo 650s]
  • I loaded the IBM Websphere Java Client, so that I could run the Gmail client and Opera Mini.
  • I use the new Java client to download and install the Gmail mobile phone app. [note: The Gmail team does not officially support this client, but from my experience,it does work on the Treo 650.]
  • I again use the Java client to download and install Opera Mini. I find that this browser make the EDGE connection a little more efficient for surfing the web.
  • I beamed the Bible+ application and a bible from Sarah's Treo.
  • Now I make my own simple version of a launcher, I move the apps I use most into the Main category. This allows me to leave the device on this category and I find that it makes my mobile use very efficient. It also allows me to add other programs and not junk up "my launcher".
  • Finally, I add a device password for security. Everyone should do this.

I run a voice and unlimited data plan from Cingular, so this configured device is now a lean mean mobile productivity machine. I never thought an older smartphone would be "new again".

Have you every rediscovered something? (It does not have to be tech related)

No comments: