Monday, January 30, 2006

Bible on my smartphone

I had a Bible on one of my older PDAs, but it didn't always have the PDA on me, so it was about as useful as the printed version of the Bible. (Which is to this day very important) Last week I loaded up a couple versions, NASB and NIV, of the Bible to my smartphone. The program I chose was from Laridian, www.laridian.com. Palmsolo had done a review on the software for his smartphone and gave it a positive review, so I decided to give it shot for myself. Check out his review:

http://www.palmsolo.com/2005/03/review-laridian-pocketbible-for.html

I have gotten a lot of use out of it thus far. I normally have my smartphone with me if I am leaving my house, so that means that I also have a copy of the Bible with me too. This is helpful for memorization, random requests for look-ups, quotes "for the moment" and filing those down times with valuable time in the Word. I have found that when I go to the phone and see that Bible icon, it even acts as an accountability mechanism to get me back into the Word.

For any Palm users who are looking for a Bible, in addition to Laridian there is a freeware version of various Bibles, called Bible Plus. Check it out at:

http://palmbibleplus.sourceforge.net/index.htm

My friend Antoine uses and supports the software. While I have not used it yet, he gets a great deal of use out of it.

Do you have a Bible on your mobile device/s? Do you have other books on your mobile device/s? Why or why not?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have derived much enjoyment from having half a dozen bible translations on my Pocket PC initially; and the same on my Smartphone. I went from a 640MHZ cpu on my Dell Axim down to a 300MHZ on my Motorola Q, and I still obtain a fast response with the bibles. And as you say, it helps me maintain some accountability with it's presence and utilization. I'm still waiting for a release of one of my favorites 'My Utmost For His Highest' for the Smartphone format. It has been worth the nominal price and more that I paid for this software. I don't even mind the smallness with which font has become on my Smartphone - the Q. I highly recommend these bibles and other Laridian applications.