Friday, January 13, 2006

Devices

I have been using handheld computers since the early days of Handspring. I was really taken by the Springboard concept and just had to get a Visor. So my first device was a Visor Deluxe, ice color. I was so enthusiastic about it and got so much use out of it, I ended up helping a couple of my friends decide to get the Visor Color edition. During my time with the Visor, I had several Springboard accessories. First I got the backup card. Definitely a good investment, as AAA batteries don't always last as long as you may hope. I also got a memory card adapter for CF cards. It kinda worked, but I was never impressed. Finally, I invested in the Minstrel modem. It allowed me to be online anywhere I could get a Verizon Wireless signal. I thought it was so cool that I could sit in a park and IM with my friends while they were probably chained to their desktop pcs.

Well that chapter in geekdom closed when our office was broken into and my Visor was stolen. Thankfully I didn't have any springboard modules in it at the time, so I only lost the device and cradle. I sold the modem and CF adapter, but kept the backup module just in case I ever decided to get nostalgic and get another visor. Well, last year my boss had an original Visor that his wife used to use but no longer needed. You guessed it, I have it now and have used it to introduce my girlfriend to mobile computing. She now has moved onto a Clie.

So that was device number one for me. I'll continue to share about my devices and how they fit into my life, but I am curious about others encounters. What was your first device? Do you still have it? Are you using it?

No comments: