Thursday, May 01, 2008

Blackberry

So I have changed mobile devices yet again, shocker, I know. There actually is a good reason behind this devices change. I have been on quest for the "right" mobile devices for my lifestyle. It needs to not only be a phone with internet access, but it needs to allow me to use my gmail email account and wirelessly keep my google calendar in sync. Most of the devices I have tried have successfully performed the first three requirements, but the wireless calendar sync has been a little more difficult than I thought.

A few weeks ago a found the mobile sync application that google has made available to its users. It is a free app that can be found at http://mobile.google.com. As of right now it only syncs wirelessly with blackberry devices. The application from google keeps your google calendar in sync with your blackberry device calendar. Now while I have tried goosync on my nokia 9300, it did not sync correctly all the time. So I tried google's mobile sync on an older blackberry that I had around. It worked and it worked flawlessly! It seems to automatically sync things as they change on either calendar. This is important to me because my wife and I tend to be busy people and have started using a google calendar that we share with each other to keep up with events. Sarah still uses a wall calendar to keep up with her schedule, but I am on the go so much and have an affinity for mobile technology that using my phone's calendar makes the most sense for me.

Having said all that, I have made the move to a blackberry for my personal device. I am using the original blackberry pearl 8100 on the AT&T network and I am enjoying it so far. I would never have thought I would become a blackberry user, but it is fitting my needs so far. I like the form factor and the fact that it has a camera is nice too. I am so committed to giving it a serious yet that I have ordered a case for it, the original lambskin case that will automatically lock the device when holstered.

So far I am running the gmail app and google sync on the device and hope to get a bible on it soon. I think my Laridian license will allow me to move my bibles I purchased for my windows mobile device a few years ago.

More impressions from a relatively new blackberry user to follow ...

No comments: